Paris Open 2018
Télécom ParisTech hosted the 2018 edition of Paris Open the 11th and 12th May.
Convenor: Axel Soll. Org Team: Sarina Sangha, Jacques Li, Florent Wijanto, Olga Kiav, Jeesoo Lee, Régis Gourde, Cinantyan Prapatti, Delphine, Ahmed Ben Saad.
CA team: Yair Har-Oz, Shrishty Krishnamoorthy and Harish Natarajan.
IAs: Olivia Sunberg, Daniel Maier Gant (equity), Ioana Branga, Dhruva Bhat, Oskar Sherry.
You can find the tab at here.
- R1: Info slide: Fritz Haber created the Haber-Bosch process, that allows the conversion of Nitrogen in the air into Ammonia which can then be used for fertilizer. The discovery has fed billions of people around the world.
Haber was also a war criminal, creating Chlorine gas to be used by his native Germany during World War I.
After the war, he was awarded the Nobel Prize for Chemistry, for the Haber-Bosch process.
This House regrets the awarding of the Nobel prize for chemistry to Fritz Haber.
- R2: This house believes that liberal democracies should aggressively fund mainstream media outlets (eg. The New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, the Guardian and Haaretz).
- R3: This house regrets the culture of casual sex.
- R4: Info slide: The Hannibal Directive is a policy of shooting to kill one's own soldiers if they are being captured by the enemy.
This house believes that armies should adopt the Hannibal Directive.
- R5: This house regrets the westernisation of the elites in post-colonial societies (e.g. speaking predominantly in English, wearing western clothing, going to schools and/or universities in the west, consuming predominantly western media).
- Open Semi: This house would create a separate Internationally recognised and protected Rohingya state in northern Rahkine.
- ESL Final: Info slide: Baron Haussmann, spearheaded the massive urban reconstruction of Paris, which involved the displacement residents from the then crowded city center, and created Paris's iconic wide boulevards and grand buildings.
This House supports the Haussmann reconstruction of Paris.
- Open Final: Info slide: Wakanda is a mineral-rich small state in Africa. It is run by an absolutist monarchy, where the rulers have largely been thought to have led the country well and contributed to its prosperity.
This House believes that Wakanda should transition into a democracy.